03. Daniel Cordova's Entirely Separate Peanut Butter and Jelly Half-Sandwiches
Daniel Cordova's Entirely Separate Peanut Butter and Jelly Half-Sandwiches.
Adult language warning! This episode is much more relaxed than the previous two, and we turn into potty-mouthed sailors more than once. If you're averse to that sort of thing, you can skip this episode.
This week's episode is a chat with Daniel Cordova! Daniel is not just one of the hosts on the very funny BLIPcast, but is an old friend of mine that I haven't spoken to in a very long time. So yes, half of this episode is just an excuse for us to touch base again, but THE OTHER half is really good, I swear. We spend a lot of time talking about the state of podcasts, where they're going and what people do with them, I think it's really fun and informative. Listen to it, dammit!
Talking with Daniel reminded me of something very important, that I had unfortunately forgotten: podcasts are FUN! I would be remiss if I didn't remind you of that every now and then. Yes, podcasts can be lucrative and you can make a career doing them, but THERE ARE LITERALLY NO RULES! You can make them whatever you want! You CAN make that podcast that's a minute of silence. NO ONE WILL STOP YOU!
A) If all podcasts sound the same, we all lose.
B) If you're having fun making your podcast, guess what? YOU'RE A SUCCESSFUL PODCASTER!
C) DO IT NOW. If you make a podcast, any kind of podcast, I will have you on the show.
If you don' t make a podcast and you're interested in being on this podcast, I'm trying to wrangle a few people together to do a sort of listener's panel, to talk about the podcasts we like, why we like them, what people who are new to podcasting should look for, etc. etc. Tweet at me @loveofpodcasts if that sounds like fun to you! I'd love to have you on.
If you're looking for another show to listen to this week, make it Harmontown! Harmontown has long been a favorite of mine, and this week is excellent. This week, guest Gilbert Gottfriedt plays D&D for the first time, the gang tackles racism and blind people, and it really is just two hours of being funny. Get into it.
- The Adam Carolla copyright incident we cite is Personal Audio v. Adam Carolla. Read more about on The Verge: http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/20/6048303/patent-troll-drops-suit-against-adam-carolla
- The best kind of podcast is the podcast that you (that's you, the person reading this right now) likes. There's no right or wrong.
- We talk a lot about Dungeons and Dragons, I know. Don't be a nerd about it.
- Daniel's interview with the lead singer of Clutch can be found in the compilation book "That Devil Music"
- Daniel writes for MetalInjection.net, and his radio show is every Friday at 5pm PST on KSSU.com.
- Correction: I do not, in fact, speak for the hipsters.
BLIPcast Episodes We Talk About:
- Guy Love
- Guy Love 2
- This Doesn't Sound Like My House
Shows We Talk About:
- Never Not Funny
- Professor Blast-Off
- Jordan, Jesse GO!
- The Nerdist (Specifically "Hostfuls", even more specifically, "The Full Chort")
- Nerd Poker
- Mi-Ray or the Highway
- Pop My Culture
- Totally Lame
- Doug Loves Movies
- Comedy Bang! Bang!
- U2 Talkin' U2 Me?
- M-Audio Interface into Magix
- Daniel edits in Adobe Audition
- Recording over Skype is hard. At present, I use SoundFlower and Audacity to record the other side of the call, while recording myself in GarageBand. If you know of a better way, let me know!
- The rustling you hear is the sound of Daniel's glorious beard.
See you next week! Keep listening to podcasts.